Mind mapping software, was Re: Is KDE 4 Stable?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 6 20:14:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I understand your discomfort with Java-based software, but have for
> several years been using FreeMind very happily despite it being
> Java-based.

+1 from me on this...

Note that on Debian (and probably Ubuntu), it's not particularly
visible that it's a "Java thing."

apt-get install freemind
installs it.

$ freemind
runs it, and it's not in-your-face about being a Java thing.  I think
it's using the AWT widget set, and when you use the file manager, you
can tell that it's consistent with other Java/GUI apps in that regard.

But it's not notably bloated - when I propose removing it, apt-get
tells me I'll save 3.6MB of space.  With a moderately large diagram,
it chews 4.1MB of memory, which isn't anything I'd complain about.

There are clearly Java-based applications out there that cause people
to have the intuition that "Java is big and bloated".

I disagree with that intuition - what is pretty clear is that Java is
the "Cobol of the 200x's", and, having been a "hot in-language," it
has attracted a lot of incompetent developers that have built big,
bloated, non-performant applications.  Those apps wouldn't be any
smaller or faster had they been written in some other language.  (Not
even Ada!)
--
"If Ada became the hot, in-language  you would see a lot more bad code
in   Ada."