The Strange Birth and Long Life of Unix - IEEE Spectrum

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 6 18:15:52 UTC 2011

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> This is an interesting example of devices being addressed as if they
> were memory, a noteable feature of the PDP-11.

Actually, most CPUs can use memory mapped I/O.  DEC had the "feature" of
not having any separate I/O instructions, which meant that I/O, not
having it's own address space, occupied addresses that might otherwise
be used for memory.  I believe the Motorola mircroprocessors also did that.

BTW, anyone else here remember the Data General I/O, where you could
branch on busy & done flags?