Wireless for wired computers?

Phillip Mills phillip.mills1-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 6 13:56:18 UTC 2011

We have two networks in the house.  Upstairs, there's a wireless router, hooked to cable, with one wired computer and a number of wireless devices. The downstairs network -- much older -- connects through DSL and includes two computers that can't use wireless.  The need for those two systems to access the net has become infrequent but still exists.

I had the idea this morning that I could eliminate the DSL line, modem, and router if I had a box that combined a wireless client with a few wired ethernet ports.  Essentially, it would connect to the upstairs wireless router (distance isn't a problem) and broker that connection to computers that used its physical ports.

Does such a thing exist and, if so, what would I call it when I went shopping?