Linus on Gnome 3.2

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 04:25:46 UTC 2011

The move to Gnome 3 (with accompanying Unity portion) was more than enough to cause me to abandon it altogether.

KDE 4 does provide some nice tools (such as Amarok for music), but overall I find it runs a bit more slowly than previous iterations.

I've begun using XFCE, which provides, to my mind, a nice balance of features a la KDE while maintaining the simplicity of Gnome.

Neither Gnome 3 nor KDE have yet to produce a compelling reason for me to return to using them on a daily basis.

I get enough of both KDE and Gnome at work, while my computers at home all run XFCE.  I've managed to accomplish all the necessary tasks I have every using XFCE, as it has neither the speed issues of KDE nor the unpleasant interface of Gnome.