Linus on Gnome 3.2

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 03:50:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 05:33:23PM -0500, Michael Hill wrote:
> Why is GNOME the first project to be held to that standard?  I've been
> around Linux long enough to have seen backwards compatibility killed
> off before.  Where would we be if it hadn't?

OK, try me.  Name one.  Who has totally thrown away the user interface

If Unity can be a project for a new dsktop style, why couldn't the
people that wanted someting totally new do someting like that instead
of hijacked and breaking gnome?

Gnome has lost many users and almost certainl a number of developers
over this.  Was this new desktop idea really worth that?  If it was a
good idea if would have survived and grown as a new project.

You don't go an break the expectations of our users if you care about
them as users.

--
Len Sorensen