Linus on Gnome 3.2

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 3 22:17:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Michael Hill <mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Ehm, yeah actually it does.  Cleary no consideration to users was given
>> what so ever.  Someone with a huge ego had an idea for how they thought
>> the desktop world shold be and decided to implement it hijacking a rather
>> popular project in the process.
>
> Lennart, I see someone with a huge ego who says a project should
> remain static to suit *his* needs.

I'm with Lennart on this one...

Making massive changes to a project is a risky matter, and if it was
functioning reasonably well, before, then it's worth considering
whether Massive Change should, instead, be proposed as a "fork."

If you're killing off backwards compatibility, then you're on is
likely, in essence, a new project, and it should be called such.  It
looks a lot like what's happening with Gnome is a whole lot like this.