Linus on Gnome 3.2

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 3 18:47:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 05:00:13PM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
> I think from what you described as your basic needs, it met 90% of
> them by default.

And it wasn incapable of meeting some of the basic ones at all.  90% isn't
that good either.  All I ever had to do in gnome 2.x and kde has been to
weak the focus setting, and ocationally a couple of keyboard shortcuts.
gnome 3 could not even be fixed with extensive tweaking.

> It has one thin panel at the top of the screen. The dock doesn't
> appear unless you select the Activities menu. There are no applets
> loaded by default except the standards that everyone is used to. The
> icon for Pidgin is under Applications --> Internet.

Not the icon for launching it (I never use the menus for that).  The icon
for the running pidgin (it was running).

> Personal experience and preferences are valid, but I don't think the
> fact that it's missing a maximize button by default qualifies it as a
> total failure of design standards.

Ehm, yeah actually it does.  Cleary no consideration to users was given
what so ever.  Someone with a huge ego had an idea for how they thought
the desktop world shold be and decided to implement it hijacking a rather
popular project in the process.

What they should have done is go make a new project with a new name for
their new invention and let gnome users keep using gnome.

Apparently a complete lack of regard for users is becoming a new trend
in open source projects.  Just look at the huge long newsgroup argument
over the lead UX guy from mozilla wanting to remove the version number
from help->about.

--
Len Sorensen