Linus on Gnome 3.2

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 2 21:54:03 UTC 2011

| From: Vic Gedris <vic-2vUEnoANFF8dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org>

I'm using Gnome 3.0 on Fedora 15, no tweaking, so my experience might
be different.

| * To much mouse movement to navigate menus to start apps (i.e. Move to
| the far top-left of screen, click "All Applications" (or however it's
| labeled), move all the way over to the other edge of the screen to
| select a sub category, then move back to somewhere else in the middle
| of the screen to choose your app).  Especially annoying on a wide
| high-res screen.

[I'm struggling to describe this stuff because I don't know what the
features are called.]

The "bang mouse into top left corner" gesture gets annoying quickly
with a high-pixel screen.

Hit the Windows key to get the same effect.  This is the first time in
my life that I've ever used the Windows.  (Hitting it again reverses
the transition.)

The menu-equivallent is hopeless: slow and larg.  Just type enough of
the name into the "type to search" box.

I have customized the palette on the left, whatever that is called.  I
added xterm (right click on the icon and make the appropriate choice).

Annoyance: clicking on the xterm icon doesn't give you a new xterm, it
gives you an old one.  You have to right click on the xterm icon and
chose "new window".

| * I actually like dedicating some screen space to a dock panel, panel
| listing all open apps, etc.

It isn't dedicated.  I would like it to be.

Oh, and when I hit the Windows key, I see a matrix of shrunken
windows.  I have not deduced how they are ordered so I waste a lot of
time scanning to find the one I want.  Does anyone know the order?

| * Accidentally moving the mouse too far to the corners causes things
| to pop up over my open windows. Highly annoying, especially when I'm
| aiming for a button in the lower-right of my window.

Upper left corner: as discussed -- menus and window icons

Lower right corner: something unknown and ghostly, perhaps
notifications.

Other corners: nothing I notice

| * It takes a million mouse clicks to shut down the computer.  Only
| option is to log out (with a confirmation click or two, of course).
| Then shut down from the *DM screen (probably with a confirmation click
| or two).  There is, however, a hidden feature were if  you hold down
| ALT while logging out it turns the logout into a poweroff (I luckily
| stumbled across that somewhere).

The hidden feature is moderately well advertised.  Dumb, but it works
well enough.  I guess you could argue that it makes it slightly safer
from accidental discharge.

Funny thing: I used to leave my desktop on 24x7.  Now I often put it
to sleep at night.  Wrecks SSH and IRC sessions, but seems to work
really well.

| But other than that...I can generally get along OK with it.

I've been using this for two or three months.  I'm annoyed by a few
things.  I'm going to get around to moving to Fedora 16 and tweak
tool, hoping things are a bit better.

I miss some widgets from the top bar: system monitor, for example.