Linus on Gnome 3.2

Vic Gedris vic-2vUEnoANFF8dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 2 21:03:44 UTC 2011

My biggest annoyances so far:

* To much mouse movement to navigate menus to start apps (i.e. Move to
the far top-left of screen, click "All Applications" (or however it's
labeled), move all the way over to the other edge of the screen to
select a sub category, then move back to somewhere else in the middle
of the screen to choose your app).  Especially annoying on a wide
high-res screen.

* I actually like dedicating some screen space to a dock panel, panel
listing all open apps, etc.

* Accidentally moving the mouse too far to the corners causes things
to pop up over my open windows. Highly annoying, especially when I'm
aiming for a button in the lower-right of my window.

* It takes a million mouse clicks to shut down the computer.  Only
option is to log out (with a confirmation click or two, of course).
Then shut down from the *DM screen (probably with a confirmation click
or two).  There is, however, a hidden feature were if  you hold down
ALT while logging out it turns the logout into a poweroff (I luckily
stumbled across that somewhere).

But other than that...I can generally get along OK with it.  I
switched to xfce for a little while, but now I'm back to gnome.  This
is with Debian Unstable,.

-Vic
Vic Gedris - http://vic.gedris.org
Toronto, Ontario, Canada - http://www.junctiontriangle.ca