Linus on Gnome 3.2

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 2 20:51:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 03:04:10PM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
>> I have had exactly the same experience, but with KDE, so I think it is
>> more a matter of personal preference. KDE always seems like a
>> nightmare to make anything work the way I want it, and I find the look
>> of it kind of awkward. I hate the file chooser dialogue beyond
>> comprehension.
>>
>> I only use maybe half a dozen apps on a regular basis, so maybe that
>> has something to do with it. I hate the KDE menu, I don't need even a
>> fraction of the applications.
>>
>> Gnome 3 without the Tweak Tool would be infuriating for anyone with a
>> desire for a lot of personalization, but now that I have that working
>> I honestly don't see what's missing.
>
> Actually it is infuriating to anyone wanting to just work.
>
> I expect and want very little:
>
> I want my programs to be in a box that I can resize, minimize and
> maximize.  I like it if double clicking the title bar toggles maximize
> on/off.

Gnome 3 has that with Tweak Tool. That decision, to not allow a
min/max button, was pretty stupid, granted.

> I want alt+tab to switch between windows.

That's on by default.

> I like alt+f2 to give me a box to type a command to run.  This is the
> only way other than typing stuff in an xterm I use to start things.
> I don't ever use menus.

Got that.

> I expect sloppy focus.  If I point at a window, give it focus.  If I
> alt+tab to a window, give it focuas and bring it to the top.  If I click
> on it, bring it to the top.

That exactly how it works in my Gnome 3.

> I prefer not to waste too much space on the screen for things, but I do
> like having a clock/date in the corner, with a place for icons of things
> like pidgin and such to show the status.  A list of running programs that
> I can click if I don't feel like alt+tabing for some reason is nice too.
>
> I can't be bothered with multiple desktops.  I can't ever remember what
> I put where, and find switching between them too ackward.  Besides I
> only ever have about 5 applications running.

I also mainly use Alt-Tab. Multiple desktops seems cool, but it's
actual usefulness has escaped me so far ;)

> - iceweasel.  Two windows with many tabs each.  One holds comics and
>  other fun things, the other holds more useful stuff.
>
> - chrome.  One window, lots of tabs.
>
> - konsole.  Many tabs.
>
> - pidgin.  Only shows as a window if I am chatting with anyone.
>
> - korganizer.  To handle popus for any meetings I have to remember.
>  Nicely tied into mutt using a perl and python thing that parses .ics
>  meeting requests and send either accept or reject replies, and adds it
>  to my calendar if accepted.
>
> So that's really all I want.  I don't want automatic window arranging,
> tiling, fancy animated anything (although it looks neat), keyboard
> shortcuts that override what applications default to, lots of panels
> taking up space with useless applets, etc.  I very much do NOT want a
> filemanager of any kind what so ever.  I don't want desktop icons.
> In fact I tend to run almost everything maximized and hence don't even
> see a desktop background image.  I show pictures in my screensaver.
> At least then I see them sometimes.
>

>From what you've written, I can't see anything that you'd be missing.
I don't have desktop icons, and I also run everything maximized. I
always set a wallpaper, but I don't know why because I never see it
:-)

--
Thomas Milne