startx while specifying configuration?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 29 21:33:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 02:05:45PM -0700, William Park wrote:
> Strange that it works for you.  My machine crashes during boot if I have 'nouveau' driver installed.

Well the nvidia binary driver can not be used after loading nouveau.
A reboot is required.

nouveau leaves the card in a state the nvidia driver simply doesn't
tolerate.

On debian the nvidia-glx package blacklists the nouveau kernel module
since they just don't work together.  It is one or the other in that case.

If you were switching between nouveau and vesa, then it might work.
Or two configs with different display options but the same driver choice.

--
Len Sorensen