Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 27 15:32:45 UTC 2011

| From: Sammy Lao <sammy.lao-OvU2V46eqDdvgyatUqoQW0B+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org>

| Guys over at XDA got Ubuntu and Debian running.
| Ubuntu - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1145895
| Debian - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=16807737
|
| The Ubuntu method seems to have more work done on it. Also, I know Canonical
| has been working really hard to get the touch interface working. Not sure
| how much work the Debian team has been working on touch interfaces.

Al this is very neat.  I think that there are native and chroot ports
for the Asus Transformer too (I could be mistaken).

BUT: I don't imagine that they are actually useful (yet?).  I would
not buy any tablet based on the promise that a Linux is going to be
usable.

Note too that Google has not released the source for Android 3.x which
these tablets run.

In theory, if you are going to ignore my advice, the Transformer with
the optional keyboard would be the better choice since keyboard input
is probably necessary.  A bluetooth keyboard will work apparently, but
perhaps only in the chrooted version (i.e. using Android's bluetooth
support, not the Linux distro's).

I do have a tablet running a normal Linux distro: a ThinkPad x61t.
But I don't find that its tablets feature actually useful.  For me, it
is just a nice small notebook.  I think that Apple did find a nice
model with the iPad, one that is different from a notebook and needs
different software.

Funny thing: I find that I have to have a device to find out how it is
going to be useful.  I thought that the ThinkPad's tablet feature was
going to be useful (it turned out not to be).  I thought that the iPad
was pretty questionable, but I find it great.  I thought that the
Transformer would be great (compared with the iPad) but it isn't a
clear winner (or loser).