Honeycomb and MTP

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 25 17:25:36 UTC 2011

Giles Orr wrote:
> On 21 August 2011 13:03, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Just before I read your message, I had googled to figure out playlist
> > stuff for the Fuze. ?In the process I found references to mtpfs (MTP
> > File System). ?Is it not useable? ?At one point, libmtp etc. were
> > evolving quickly. ?Perhaps the Debian ones you are using are old.
>
> Debian wheezy has libmtp8.  sid has libmtp9: I don't know if that
> would make any difference at all, but I can haul it in if people think
> it would make a difference.
>
> The Transformer mounts immediately and flawlessly on both XP and Win7
> (my two work machines) and all content on both the internal memory and
> the microSD card are accessible.  So not a hardware issue.  And all
> the more frustrating that I'm having so much trouble under Linux.

FWIW, I was recently looking to provide media support for someone
else's Transformer.

In the case of having a server full of content on the WLAN, minidlna
works nicely to provide access to the whole collection to play MP3s or
videos or look at pictures on the tablet, via Android's "My Net"
application.  It does appear that some (AVI) video doesn't render on the
Transformer, and that mediatomb (plus a gruntier server) might be wanted
to transcode video to a compatibly playable format in realtime.

(The application is almost unnecessarily modeful: if you're for example
in video mode and go to a directory full of MP3s, it acts as if you're in
an empty directory instead of showing and playing audio.)

It appears that MTP is what you want when you're installing selected
media into the device's own memory for playback offline, and almost
misses the point since it'd involve browsing and making selections
from the larger collection from the desktop rather than the tablet
itself.

--
Anthony de Boer