Ubuntu: Good and Bad. (Was: 13th December "Smack Down" Meeting)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 25 15:42:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Dave Germiquet
<davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does debian have problems supporting newer hardware because of its
> release schedule?

This is the "classic" challenge with Debian...

Since stable releases take place fairly far apart, and have pretty
large preparatory lead-times, it's pretty typical that the Linux
kernels in Stable are somewhat old, with the consequence that they
will lack support for "latest and greatest" hardware.

Not that it's necessarily actually great hardware, rather just that
some NICs currently getting deployed may be supported by subsequent
kernels.

When I got my last new desktop machine, this was an issue.  I had to
jump thru some hoops to get a newer kernel that recognized the network
card.  Basically, I went looking at the "unstable" installer to get
one with newer kernel.