keyboard-driven web browsing, WAS13th December "Smack Down" Meeting

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 25 15:41:20 UTC 2011

On 25 August 2011 08:38, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am a long time mouse avoider.  I'm a touch typist.  Removing my hand
> from the home row to use the mouse slows me down.  Of course we cannot
> avoid a mouse or other such pointing devices, but we can minimize.
>
> The Vimperator Firefox add-on makes Firefox respond to Vim key bindings.
> H,J,K and L scroll left, down, up and right.  Ctrl-I opens Vim for
> editing text boxes.  T <url> opens the url in a new tab. O <url> opens
> the url in the existing tab.  If <url> is not a url the text goes to
> Google for a search page. You can mark spots in pages and go to them, as
> you would in Vim. There are many more options but those are few that I
> use most.

Most of the Vimperator developers appear to have forked off to
Pentadactyl, and Vimperator is quietly stagnating.  I had a lot of
trouble with Pentadactyl initially (pieces of the screen simply
disappeared), but it's now working well and is a substantial
improvement over Vimperator - several small but significant fixes have
been implemented.  Ones I've noticed are that the status line
collapses when not in use, and there's tab completion of Quick
Searches (I particularly missed that in Vimperator).

> I started using tiling window managers.  Now I'm on dwm but I have tried
> others.  These types of window managers automatically fit all windows
> flush without over lap and without having to resize them.  No mousing.

wmii rocks.  dwm is good too.  Look at i3 if you don't remap your
keyboard (as soon as you hold down Ctrl i3 drops keyboard mappings!).

P.S. I've seen complaints about hijacking threads on GTALUG.  I've
changed the Subject, but I have no idea if this is going to mess up
threaded newsreaders.  My apologies if it does.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org