13th December "Smack Down" Meeting

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 24 17:27:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:14:39PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I'm certainly confused by "progress".  I don't think that I want the
> current Fedora (Gnome 3)or Ubuntu (Unity?) on my desktop whereas the
> previous ones were fine.  My desktop is 2560x1600; the new desktops seem
> to be optimized for unskilled users who are using undersized netbook
> screens.
>
> I've always avoided customizing my desktop or using a non-mainstream
> one since that's always seemed to lead to upgrade headaches.
>
> So where will I go?  By December, there will be newer releases of both
> Fedora and Ubuntu.  Perhaps the choices will be better (or worse).
>
> My desktop is currently Fedora 13 and that gets no more updates.  I could
> move to Fedora 14 but it is already stale.
>
> Debian is possible, but it hasn't looked like the right choice:
>
> - stuff that's too old (maybe)

The current release came out in January of this year.  It's not that old.

Debian testing is usually perfectly fine to use, and even unstable
often is.  I certainly run unstable on my desktop, including my work
desktop without issues.  I have less issues with that than many other
distributions cause with their stable release versions (Pretty much
proving that fixed release dates causes crappy releases).

> - desktop that's no better than Fedora or Ubuntu since it is likely the
>   same.

Debian includes lots of desktops.  You pick whatever one you want.

--
Len Sorensen