13th December "Smack Down" Meeting

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 24 16:14:39 UTC 2011

| From: Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Gnome 2 vs. Gnome 3 vs. KDE vs. XFCE and any other window managers,
| and just where the hell do they think they're going with Gnome 3?  :-)

I'm certainly confused by "progress".  I don't think that I want the
current Fedora (Gnome 3)or Ubuntu (Unity?) on my desktop whereas the
previous ones were fine.  My desktop is 2560x1600; the new desktops seem
to be optimized for unskilled users who are using undersized netbook
screens.

I've always avoided customizing my desktop or using a non-mainstream
one since that's always seemed to lead to upgrade headaches.

So where will I go?  By December, there will be newer releases of both
Fedora and Ubuntu.  Perhaps the choices will be better (or worse).

My desktop is currently Fedora 13 and that gets no more updates.  I could
move to Fedora 14 but it is already stale.

Debian is possible, but it hasn't looked like the right choice:

- stuff that's too old (maybe)

- desktop that's no better than Fedora or Ubuntu since it is likely the
  same.