OT: replacement fan for an Intel heatsink

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 22 19:45:48 UTC 2011

On 22/08/2011, Andrej Marjan <andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> That said, since I can't find a replacement fan for the stock fan, I'll have
> to swap the whole thing out.

Sometimes you can remove the sticker from the hub of the fan to expose
the shaft and bearing, apply a few drop of oil in the hole, and then
cover the area where the sticker was with a small piece of electrical
tape. This may quiet the fan down for a while to give you more time to
search for a replacement or wait for a deal on a new heat sink
assembly.

I've had fans, that got noisy, last for more than a year before they
start acting up again, using this technique.

--
Scott