OT: replacement fan for an Intel heatsink

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 22 15:45:55 UTC 2011

On 22 August 2011 09:59, Andrej Marjan <andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello, an appeal to all the hardware buffs on the list.
>
> Is it possible to obtain just a new CPU fan for an Intel heatsink? I
> recently de-dusted a relative's computer, and the CPU fan is still making a
> horrible racket so I think the dust has gotten into the bearings.
>
> The CPU is an E4500, which I think is a first generation Core2, if it makes
> a difference.
>
> I haven't managed to find anything in my own searches, and I'm really hoping
> to avoid dismantling everything and replacing the heatsink.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I had the bearings go on an NVidia card cooling fan once.  I pried the
fan off, found a small aftermarket fan that fit the space, and put it
in place with twist ties.  Worked fine for a couple years until I took
the computer out of service.  Not sure I'd recommend this for a CPU,
but it depends how long you want it to last and how critical the
machine is.  If the fan fails you may burn out the CPU entirely.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org