extending space

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 20 23:19:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Sammy Lao
<sammy.lao-OvU2V46eqDdvgyatUqoQW0B+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Personally, I find moving the /home directory itself to be the
> easiest. Less maintainence work.

Hear, hear!

Attempts to do an "in-place conversion" will require a fair bit of
'binary magick,' and it seems to me that it's a *way* simpler thing
to:

a) Mount the new space some place new
b) Use your existing backup mechanism to copy /home material to that new place
c) Switch /home with the new place

If you haven't got backups, well, that's a really serious problem that
should get rectified first.

If you have a backup system, then that's the *EASY* way to shift data
to a new filesystem; no need to resort to anything requiring special
binary data conversions.