extending space

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 20 21:26:29 UTC 2011

Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> My /home partition is almost out of space, I just bought a new drive,
> is there a way for me to increase the space on my /home partition buy
> creating a 2nd /home partition on the other drive and "double"
> mounting it?
>
> Can I do this on Linux to create a larger virtual /home partition?
> Over do I need to copy over everything to the new /home partition and
> only mount that under /home
>
> Thanks

You can move the /home to the new drive.  However, before you do that,
you probably want to mount the new drive at a temporary mount point, so
that you can copy the contents of /home to it.  Once the new drive is in
service, you can then free up the space used by the old /home.  BTW,
this indicates one of the benefits of logical volume management.  With
it, you'd just add the new drive to the volume and expand partitions to
use the space.  I did that a while ago, when I installed a much larger
drive in a notebook computer.  Rather than attempt to resize the
existing system, I just added the new free space to the volume.  The
only caveat is /boot cannot be in the logical volume.   I set up a
server at work recently with 4 1 TB drives.  I created a 2 GB slice of
the first drive for /boot (yeah, I know, far more than required) and
used the 1st 2 GB on the remaining 3 drives for swap.  I then created a
RAID 4 arrary of the remaining disk space, where I then created a LVM,
which will allow me to adjust partition sizes as needed.