extending space

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 20 19:57:35 UTC 2011

On 11-08-20 03:50 PM, Jarl Stefansson wrote:
> As has been pointed out without details it's hard to give concrete advice.
>
> If you currently have LVM (Centos/Fedora default) you can extend it
> with the new disk.
>
> If you don't have LVM and what you currently have is just one drive
> with multiple partitions you could format the new drive, mount it
> temporarily under say /mnt, copy everything from /home to the new
> drive, change /etc/fstab so that the new drive is automatically
> mounted under /home, remount it under /home  and once you are sure
> everything is working you can reclaim the space used by the old /home,
> if it's a separate partition you could boot from a livecd and use
> something like gparted to resize another partition to occupy the
> space, if it's on the same partition as other things you could just
> delete the data which would free the space.
>
> Jarl

I am not using a raid of lvm, all partitions are on the same drive. I
might just ended up mounting the /home partition onto the 2nd drive and
copy over all the old stuff.  As Neil states having one drive fail could
mean trouble.

Having said this, can I convert my existing drive into a LVM setup? I am
using ext4 partition types.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | http://DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely