Convert existing openLDAP password from SSHA to SHA-1

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar alexandre.alencar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 19 19:30:11 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Willian, you can do so by changing *password-hash *param from your
slapd.conf file. This param takes one or more hashing functions to be used
for storing password hashed version.

As stated in slapd.conf (5) man page:

{SHA} and {SSHA} use the SHA-1 algorithm (FIPS 160-1), the latter with a
seed as of {MD5} and {SMD5} use the MD5 algorithm (RFC 1321), the latter
with a seed.

You can add the following to make your setup work

password-hash {SSHA} {SHA}

or

password-hash {SSHA} {MD5}

This will add a new userPassword attribute to objects when they call the
LDAP Password Modify Extended Operations (RFC 3062).

As of stated in man page:

Note that this option does not alter the normal user applications handling
of userPassword during LDAP Add, Modify, or other LDAP operations.

After making the change in slapd.conf, you need to restart the deamon and
let all users change their passwords (in normal fashion or forced by
password expire).

Best Regards

Alexandre Alencar
Twitter @alexandreitpro