Where to get a smartphone *NOT* under contract?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 15:31:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>
>
> |   I'm mostly interested in Wifi, and may not bother connecting to a
> | phone provider.  (I already have a "POTS" candybar cellphone that I got
> | in 2006.)
>
> Sure sounds like a tablet will do for you.

Indeed.  One of the more unsung brands that seems rather good is Archos.

They carry models that are about the size of a mobile phone:
<http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_32it/>
<http://store.archos.com/archos-internet-tablet-p-5003.html>

The latter is carried by Newegg.ca:
<http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855501059>

I have been watching what's going on with Nexus S prices on
Craigslist/Kijiji; that's how I got my last couple phones, and I
haven't had any "transaction problems."