Assigning different titles to 2 instances of GIMP?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 16 07:53:39 UTC 2011

  I think I've figured out a workaround.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 03:09:19PM -0400, Stewart Russell wrote
> I suspect Walt's need for two versions will be something to do with
> script compatibilty. His workflow is not my workflow, but his workflow
> is okay ;-)

> On 8/15/11, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Given the gimp can handle multiple files at once, I am courious what
> > circumstance would make having two instances useful.

  What I do is...
* go and shoot a bunch of photos somewhere
* dump the RAW and JPG files off the camera's SD card to a "saved"
  directory on my harddrive

and do the following loop

1) Open the next .DNG raw file with 1st GIMP instance
2) Decide whether I want to use that photo
   if not, GOTO 1
   otherwise, CONTINUE
3) Tweak/crop as necessary
4) Save as a .PNG to working directory
5) bin the .PNG using imagemagick in a shell script.  See binning
   explanation http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/glossary/binning.html
   The benefits are of binning...
   - binning by a factor of N reduces noise as if you had used a lower
     ISO when shooting. E.g. downsizing by 4 means 4309x2868 => 1077x717
     for the raw files from my Pentax KX.  An ISO 400 shot looks like
     it was shot as ISO 100.
   - the local camera club rules say submissions must not exceed X 1024
     and Y 768.  So I still have to crop the X.  If I crop the original
     image, I might bin by a factor of of 2 or 3 instead.
6) open binned copy of file with 2nd GIMP instance and do final cropping
   and save as PNG
7) run another shell script that calls imagemagick to do final
   sharpening and save as JPG (camera club rules).
8) GOTO 1

  Note that steps 1 and 6 open files in different directories.  An
instance of GIMP remembers what directory it last opened a file in.
Navigating back and forth between directories can be painful.

  Sometimes the answer is so simple.  My workaround, that I'll try next
time, is to symlink all the raw DNG files into the work directory.  This
results in me working in the work directory only.  I can open the "1st
instance" using mc (Midnight Commander), and close after saving.  The
"2nd instance" will be persistant, i.e. I'll close the file window, but
not the instance.