OT: hourly contracting rate for a software engineer in GTA

David van Geest david.vangeest-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 14 17:17:23 UTC 2011

Hi all,

A little off-topic, but thought this group could provide some good insight.

My wife and I are planning to move to Toronto in the next couple months
(back to the motherland!).  I'm a software engineer, and the plan is for me
to keep working on a contract basis for my current employer, who is based in
Michigan.

I can figure out an hourly wage based on current salary and some expense
estimates, but I'm curious as to what the going rate is for contract
software work in the GTA.  Obviously the type of work and the contractor's
level of experience play a large role, so if you have a number, it would be
good to see some context.  As for me, I do a wide variety of stuff, anything
from C on embedded QNX platforms to Rails in the cloud.  I'm 3 years out of
my Bachelor of Science in Engineering.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-David

--
David van Geest
http://davidvg.com