Recommendations for Android wifi tablet?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 11 14:08:13 UTC 2011

On 11 August 2011 08:06, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 8/11/11, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>>   What I'm looking for...
>> * unlocked Android (so I don't have to root it)
>> * real USB and SD ports (not the "micro" versions)
>> * decent camera
>> * I'm willing to get a wifi-only version.  If I need
>> full internet, I'll
>>   get a WInd Mobile data stick.  I have a
>> candy-bar cellphone already.
>>   1999 called, but they're not getting it back
>> <G>.
>> * Motorola Xoom looks best so far, but I don't know them
>> all
>>
>>   Anything else to look for?
>
> Keyboard docking station?  HDMI out?
>
> I recommend the ASUS Eee Transformer. With the docking station.
>
> The docking station is a keyboard, SD card port, 2 USB ports and additional battery.
>
> I use my Samsung Galaxy as a AP when I need the Internet.

I own a Asus Eee Transformer Tablet with keyboard, and I highly
recommend it.  It's not "unlocked," and good luck finding any tablet
that is.  I haven't rooted mine yet as the methods I've seen have been
dodgy (I suppose they all are as they are, by their nature, security
exploits) ... and the main one was going to wipe all data from the
tablet.  Asus has been quite prompt with updates, and I think I'm
currently running the very latest version of Android (I'm now seeing
new features that don't exist in older versions).  My one frustration
has been that I can't remap the keyboard: I'm a Dvorak user, and no
one has offered a Dvorak keyboard map except via rooting the tablet.

To address your points:
- no, it's not unlocked
- the "real" USB and SD ports are only on the keyboard: the tablet
itself has microSD and no USB
- the camera will, outside on a very sunny day, occasionally take good
pictures: again, good luck finding any tablet with a "good" camera.
Take a look at http://www.gilesorr.com/photography/201107/ - it's my
most recent photo gallery, and several of the pictures (the ones whose
names DON'T end in "OlympusFE26") are taken with the tablet camera.
- the Transformer isn't available with phone data: it's wi-fi only
- pretty much all reviewers thought the Transformer was substantially
better than the Xoom, and personally I would probably have taken the
Transformer anyway because of the keyboard

As a closing note, with the keyboard attached the thing closes up like
a netbook, and is in almost all ways indistinguishable from a netbook.
 It really does "transform," which also conveniently protects the
screen (mine came with no case at all, I recycled a 10" neoprene
netbook case that doesn't quite fit right).

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org