LDAP how is Failover done?

John Miles jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 5 11:48:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

I need some direction on where to start with a solution for replacing some
LDAP infrastructure.

We presently have 1 LDAP server.

My manager desires multiple LDAP servers (and so do I for failover/disaster
recover)

The largest issue appears to be keeping changes in user passwords in sync.

What have you folks done to deal with that?

Right now, there are 2 models we are debating:

Model 1:
1 Master  - 3 slaves
Build a scenario where 3 slaves are used for the largest volume (reading)
* the exception would be password changes which would require updates
directly on the Master
* administration would be on the Master (i.e. by me, and my sysadmin
friends)

Model 2:
3 Masters - 3 way replication
All 3 servers can be written to
* the problem is keeping them in sync in cases where something is changed on
one, and then on another between replication cycles.

Anyone have experience setting up something like this?

Thank you!

John.