VoIP home phone from Teksavvy (TekTalk)?

Ori Idan ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 3 05:24:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 08/02/2011 07:39 PM, William Park wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Has anyone tried VoIP home phone from teksavvy.com (called "TekTalk"),
>>     <http://teksavvy.com/en/res-**homephone.asp#tektalk<http://teksavvy.com/en/res-homephone.asp#tektalk>
>> >
>> or from any other ISP?  I'm wondering, for $9.95/month, what's the
>> catch?
>>

> The biggest gotcha is going to be the fact that if your DSL goes down, so
> does your VoIP.
> There are a lot of problems that can disrupt DSL, but not POTS (plain old
> telephone service).
>
> The quality of your DSL service also matters, phone signals can reach a LOT
> farther and still be usable on a dodgy line then DSL.
> DSL can also be much higher latency. ~10ms if you have a good quality line
> (for a Fast Channel profile) or ~40ms for poor quality (using an Interleave
> Profile to compensate).
>
> You best also make sure your ISP has an alternate contact number for when
> the send a Bell dispatch to fix the line (because it's almost all Bell
> infrastructure, no matter which ISP your with for DSL). If Bell can't get a
> hold of you they used to just drop the matter, but recent policy changes
> means they hand it off to the ISPs and say "You schedule your subscriber".
>

> It can work and be much cheaper if you already have DSL, but just be aware
> that a lot more can go wrong with DSL then just POTS.

You are right POTS in theory should have much less problems but at least in
Israel I have seen many times that DSL did work and phone did not (standard
phone).
As for VoIP phones, some company in Israel markets I think something similar
but it connects between the line and the DSL modem.
I don't have any personal experience with it but I heard people saying in
caused problems with their Internet connection.

--
Ori Idan