Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 17:07:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> By the way, what tools do professionals use nowdays?  TeX is the only
> tool I know, but I doubt if people use that.

The world is a big place, with a lot of radically different sorts of
"professionals."

- Since the American Mathematical Society specifies the use of
TeX/LaTeX (http://www.ams.org/publications/authors/tex/latexbenefits),
the publications it influences have a "certain influence" :-).

- The professionals that manage the Internet specify the use of Plain
ASCII Text.  See RFC 1543.  <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1543.txt>

- There are doubtless sectors that have lately been fighting their way
to and fro away from WordPerfect, which was a long time "standard,"
towards other things.  WordPerfect was a relatively stable format,
albeit with some proprietary ills.

- Sorts of professionals that generate visually-oriented output have a
history of preference for things such as QuarkXPress, Ventura
Publisher, FrameMaker, Interleaf, likely combined with a willingness
to fight and quit jobs should a shop head in a direction perceived as
wrong.

I'm sure people can think of other tools used in other sectors.