Android and Huawei GSM modem - toronto dialup settings

Russell reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 13:13:07 UTC 2011

I did a fresh install of Debian squeeze and found that installing from
the first cd only gave me the behaviour I expected from Linux. When I
subsequently plugged in the phone, it was recognized immediatly as
product id 1031 and not 1035. It would have been 1035, if it had been
present during install process and been previously polled by udev's
rules generator and subject to all the custom rules provided.

This machine had a ethernet card but it wasn't connected to a lan or
the internet. I set up networking during the install but since I
couldn't connnect to a mirror, the network manager wasn't available. I
could have used more cd's, but heck its more fun this way.

I downloaded tclsh, usb_modeswitch, ppp and wvdial and related
dependencies with my phone and used dpkg to install. The firmware info
and udev rules from my previous post created ttyUSB0 through 4.

Here's /etc/wvdial.conf with local settings for Wind in this area.

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.windmobile.ca"
Modem Type =  USB Modem
Phone =*99#
ISDN = 0
Password = *
New PPPD = yes
Username = *
Baud = 9600
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Stupid Mode = 1

Stupid mode starts pppd right away without a prompt from the carrier.
If you are using a Huawei stick you'd probably change
internet.windmobile.ca --> broadband.windmobile.ca and most likely
provide your username and password.

I use dropbox on my pc. I was using it at a clients request, but when
I saw it was available for Android, I just had to do this.

Russell