Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 13:01:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Gary Layng <glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/04/last-typewriter-factory-
> in-the-world-shuts-its-doors/237838/
>
> And so an era finally comes to an end - not with a bang, but a whimper.

I got into a discussion with an old friend about this and the question
of other technologies that haven't quite disappeared came up. People
on this list have been discussing list the ongoing sales of dot matrix
impact printers like :
epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Overview&oid=-8185&iref=printerhub_subnav_impact
. Other examples there are still buggy whip makers out there :
realpages.com/sites/buggywhips/page3.html (catering to the likes of
historical societies (and no doubt some are bought by people into
seriously kinky...stuff)). As well there are still Morse code key
makers : www.vibroplex.com (before an amateur radio operator is
allowed to use some frequencies he/she must pass a Morse code
test...).

So, question is, what other technologies that most people would have
thought dead/gone are still holding on by catering to a small niche
market?

Colin McGregor - VE3ZAA (yes I do own a Morse code key :-) ).