WRT54GL cheap (refurb)

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 28 17:05:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Alex Volkov <avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think you've got amount of RAM and Flash wrong.

Yes, typo on my part.

> From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
> WRT54GL has 4MB of flash and 16MB of RAM. Which makes sense as routers
> need to store state info and all the services that would use more
> memory than just what they have on flash, in addition flash filesystem
> is usually squashfs which supports compression. Of course the models
> that have 32MB of ram 8MB of flash are the best.
>
> Although my prefered router right now is  tl-wr1043nd I give so much
> love for it because it runs OpenWRT out of the box, and runs it pretty
> well.

Good point, the likes of OpenWRT and some of the other Linux router
distributions will run on multiple brands of routers. For example you
can see a list of what Tomato will run on here :
www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#what_will_this_run_on . The comparable
list for OpenWRT can be seen here : http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
.

The things going for the Linksys routers like the WRT54GL are, they
are easily found, (usually) very reliable, and inexpensive. But if you
have (or can easily/inexpensively get) one of the other supported
routers go for it, drop in a replacement firmware and have some fun.

Colin McGregor