Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors

Gron Arthur gron.arthur-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 28 16:37:37 UTC 2011

I lament the death of web 1.0, like those that reflect on the passing
of the typewriter, with web1 hobbiest could produce informative web
pages with little effort.  There was ownership of the work produced,
with people having to rent a bit of server space.  Yes with the cloud
and web 2.0 you could do more things, interesting things, but at least
for a moment in the late 90s there was still a youthful spirit to the
endeavor.  Now advertising has crept into everything, phones and
devices are locked down.  We've moved from the 'Endless September' of
people learning the social norms of the net to letting ourselves be
constrained by companies disabling features to dumb down and profit
from our learned ignorance and breed apathy.

Perhaps we need a funeral for the typewriter and web 1.0 like the
"Death of the Hippie" ceremony in 1967.