WRT54GL cheap (refurb)

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 28 13:35:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56129&vpn=WRT54GL-RM&manufacture=Linksys&promoid=1097
>
> Linksys WRT54GL "Linux Version" (whatever that means ... did they
> already flash the firmware?) refurbished, $25.  Plus of course the
> fine print: "does not include shipping, handling, or taxes, limited
> time offer etc. etc."  It's a good price if you don't mind refurb and
> wireless-G.

A bit of history here... First you had the WRT54G router which in
versions 1 to 4 had 16 MB of flash memory and 4 MB of RAM. Versions 1
to 4 also had a Linux kernel and after foot dragging (and lawsuit)
Linksys released the source code, this was followed by the community
creating Linux firmware to replace the Linksys supplied firmware (best
known replacements being Tomato Linux and DD-WRT (there are others)).
This then created a small cottage industry of creating custom routers
for specific tasks, like how would you like the Asterix PBX software
on your router (this has been done)... After version 4 of the WRT54G
Linksys made the router with 8MB of flash, 4 MB of RAM and a
proprietary OS. While very stripped Linux versions have been made to
run on the post version 4 WRT54G, options are rather limited. The good
news, Linksys has continued to build what are in effect version 4
WRT54G routers under the name WRT54GL (and yes the WRT54GL has a Linux
kernel...). So, if you want to be able to fairly painlessly modify
your router have a close look at the WRT54GL, one of the old version 1
to 4 WRT54G routers, or the early WRT54GS (versions 1 to 3 had 32 MB
flash and 8 MB RAM).

For my home network, I have a WRT54GS version 2 and a WRT54G version 3
both currently running Tomato Linux :-) .

So, a $25 router that you can easily customize, well, if I didn't
already have an early WRT54G, I'd want a WRT54GL :-) .

Colin McGregor

For a detailed list of the WRT54G series routers and their specs see :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series