Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 27 14:49:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 05:44:39PM -0400, Stewart Russell wrote:
> Though do note how expensive 9-pin printers are now compared to the 1980s.
> True, they've sprouted neat features like Ethernet and USB, but deep down,
> they're still an FX-80 at the core.

Forget 9 pin.  Get a 24 pin LQ series. :)

But yes they do still have FX series.  FX-300+ II has USB, parallel
and serial interfaces.  Talk about legacy ports still being around.
And of course the FX-890 (and 890N with 10/100 Ethernet built in).
Prices from $250 to $700.

For crazy, the 9 pin DFX-9000 will manage 10 copies at once with wide
paper, and costs $3400.

The 24 pin LQ costs only slightly more than the 9 pin and sure print
nicer.  They seem to have to go down to 5 or 6 copies from the 7 most
of the 9 pin can do though.  I guess smaller pins means slightly less
impact force.

They sure were cheaper in the past when they were made in higher volumes.
I used to have a Star NX-1000 Rainbow (9 pin colour).  Those things were
nearly indestructible.

--
Len Sorensen