NewEgg ShellShocker: an external modem that is supported by Linux (connects via USB) $16.99

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 24 17:10:57 UTC 2011

If you want still want to use a modem, this is pretty cheap for one that
has Linux support.
<http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005>
This deal probably ends at midnight (in PST?).

The "Feedback" says that there is out-of-the-box support in Linux.
HylaFAX supports it too.

Connecting via USB is useful since fewer computers come with serial
ports these days.

Downsides I noticed:

- no callerID feature (even though the AT commands say it is supported)

- no sound so you cannot hear call progress (I find sound handy
  sometimes)

- no built-in phoneline splitter

I've ordered one just in case I need a modem.