Android and Huawei GSM modem connected in Debian Squeeze

Russell reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 19 18:14:19 UTC 2011

I just noticed that the two message content fields in my last post are
different. Although the one I used originally was not the recommended
one, it worked. I got it from some other huawei modem user's conf
file.

When I mounted the sim on the phone while it was connected as a modem,
the tty connection was dropped and the icon with the malformed xml
label shows up on the desktop. I can then access the file system. When
I unmount the sim, udev remounts the character device as an available
connection and eventually reconnects. RUN+ should speed that up and I
can take care of renaming the desktop icon as well.

If I sum things up. Calling usb_modeswitch from udev leaves out one
process step I'd have to use if I went with udev's native method;
insmod usbserial option or whatever flavour demands after
modem-modeswitch uses ZeroCd to eject the phantom cdrom. Although on
closer look you might be able to apply usb serial at that time as
well.

Squeeze up and running, lucid and jaunty next and I'm good to go just
about everywhere I go.