Hack the D-Link DNS-323 to get an array of Linux server options | TechRepublic

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 19 17:06:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Stewart Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've been running fun_plug for a couple of years. The '323 is pretty limited
> as a server - it's an 800MHz (or is it 500? I forget) ARM5. It's useful as a
> basic file share for a home network, feeding video to a networked player
> like the Asus O!Play, or as a t*rr*nt box. Beyond that, it's pretty creaky.
> Think of it as an NSLU-2 without all the cable mess.

I think I'd rather get something a tad nicer.  It's not quite powerful
enough as server (and I'd rather go with something like
<http://www.dealextreme.com/p/standalone-bittorrent-bt-downloader-usb-printer-sharing-network-lan-server-57591>
for a t*rr*nt box), and it doesn't have enough drive slots to make an
interesting file share.

As Lennart recently observed, RAID 1 isn't much fun.  RAID 0 seems
wasteful - I'd be just as happy buying one cheaper drive device.  What
I'd rather get is an "N+1 failoverable" involving 4 drives - that's
the point where redundancy starts being not too insulting.  The drives
to fill it up are sufficiently expensive that I'd rather buy the $300
unit with 4 bays.  That eats about the same amount of shelf space, has
the same amount of cabling, and plenty more storage.