Debian and Postgres 9.0

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 19 16:24:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Has anyone got experience with Debian and Postgres 9.0?  I have never
> used Postgres before, but I foolishly thought it would be simple.  I'm
> just trying to get started - database server available on localhost and
> the ability to create databases and run SQL.
>
> All of the tutorials seem to be subtly different, and Debian is
> different still, and the whole process has been quite frustrating.
> Anyone have some pointers?  Thanks.

The "special" thing about Debian with Postgres is that it includes
support for having multiple databases running different versions
simultaneously.

There's some attendant cleverness that you may need to use some
"cluster" commands to specify which instance of Postgres you wish to
use.  It's actually a bit more powerful than it seems; not only does
it let you have multiple different versions running, it allows
installing multiple instances running the *same* version (which is
less obvious).

For more on the Debian-specific tooling, see:
http://wiki.debian.org/PostgreSql