Debian and Postgres 9.0

Tue Apr 19 15:46:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 08:15:09AM -0700, Fernando Duran wrote:

>Then just change to the postgres user:
>
># su postgres -
>
>And call the postgres command line utility:
>
>$ psql

Installation is easy - it is Debian, after all.  I had to create a
password for the postgres user (not obvious), but once I was in I get
this:

~ ] psql
Error: No existing local cluster is suitable as a default target. Please
see man pg_wrapper(1) how to specify one.)

Reading man pg_wrapper(1) is not as helpful as I have hoped. How (and
where) do I specify a local cluster, on Debian, for 9.0?  The docs are
not clear, and I have read reams of advice just like the very helpful
advice above.  So far, all of it is missing steps somewhere, or the
commands are not valid under my version or distro.
--

yours,

William