Linux for non-technical people.

Alex Volkov avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 18 02:04:54 UTC 2011

Hello, I have tried and true question on how to introduce non-technical
people to Linux.

A friend of mine runs a CentOS VPS server that's been shipped with
cPanel that he uses, and it seems like a rather horrible piece of
software -- all its added value consists of sparing the user command
line access, and judging by the resulting configuration settings, I'd
say it does a piss poor job at that.

So he needs to run a LAMP stack (apache, mysql, php and nothing
fancier), and I've been thinking of just showing how to use text editor
like nano (my apologies to Sacha Chua), show some examples for common
config files such as  virtual hosts, init scripts and logging.

I'm wondering is there a some sort of tutorial out there that would
cover basics, allow an computer hobbyist to do practical things without
delving too much into linux underpinnings.

On a not completely unrelated note, why CentOS people don't package NSD3
server?

Alex.