Android Phones - help with usb_modeswitch

Russell reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 17 22:45:20 UTC 2011

You're right on both accounts. Sometimes especially I can't understand
what I'm talking about. I think I'm trying to figure out how to
resolve an issue between kernel-space and user-space on my computer.

It's my understanding that it is the sim card on my phone which is
being mounted as a virtual CD.  My phone is not rooted so I think any
MS programs which auto-runs would be on a very small file system on
the internal storage medium. Using MS, that file system is then
mounted as a virtual CD and auto-run takes over at mount time to do
the mode switching. This gives me the choice between using the "sim
card" file system for file transfer or accessing the internal modem
stream. In both case the device is tethered. Five pins, I think.

In one mode case the computer would be tethered to a block device and
in the other, to a character device. I assume serial TTY. So why my
modem device doesn't return udevadm ATTR{serial} info is confusing.
However that lack of information hints at a simple solution.

In this case however my default Nautilus system mounts the phone
tether as a block device. I want to switch to a character device. Not
even that. I want to un-mount the device and get out of the way of the
character stream so I can refer to it as a TTY device. (Which seems
kind of weird to me, but that's user-space for you.) The fact that
Nautilus calls out to and then mounts the phones "exported" file
system and then can't grep and name the system properly for the system
GUI, hints at a either a simple XML TRanslation problem or something
deeper which might not be solved with either udev or usb_modeswitch,
which are both user space solutions. Maybe my kernel GSM modem
firmware descriptions are incomplete or maybe I'm missing something
simple in udev modem switching.

Android is Linux so I know its got to be simple, KISS right?

I always was a lousy speller.