Android Phones - help with usb_modeswitch

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 17 19:11:22 UTC 2011

Russell reiter wrote:
> I guess stuff gets related to being "legacy" pretty quickly these
> days, but still my phone can drop into GSM 2G.

2G doesn't necessarily mean modem emulation.  It's simply less bandwidth
that can still be used for IP.  That modem service required the carrier
to convert the data to standard modem tones, before placing it on the
POTS network.  My previous phone a Motorola V180 could be used as a
modem, provided I paid for the service.  I don't think that service is
currently available.