X messing about - Thinkpad t43 lost trackpad

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 04:15:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Andrew Henriquez
<andrew.henriquez-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 2011-04-08 21:55.
>
> I just installed squeeze on a dell latitude D400 and have the same issue
> with my mouse pointer. however if I suspend the computer and turn it back on
> the pointer is back to normal....
> i have know idea why this works....

Hmm.  I don't seem to have a ready way to request that, sans pointer!

It was suggested that I try plugging in a USB mouse; I did so, and
it's recognized fine.

There's another factor that I haven't *fully* controlled for, which is
the keyboard.  Initially, it isn't recognized, either.  I tried
plugging in a USB keyboard, which was, after a few seconds recognized,
after which the "native" keyboard is also recognized fine.  What I
probably ought to test more is whether plugging in the USB keyboard
*really* had an effect, or if it's more of a superstition, and it's
just a matter of waiting a few seconds for X to recognize the built-in
keyboard.

I'm suspicious that it's something about xorg getting upgraded.  There
are a few recent packages installed related to xorg.

Having mouse working helps when trying to search for the cause of the
problem ;-).