Kernel panic on new Debian 6.01 install

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 5 06:31:26 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I've installed Debian 6.01a on an old P3, mainly just to use a large
IDE drive I have laying around. Is there some kind of maximum drive
size for these old Pentium 3 motherboards? It's a 500GB drive, but I
thought Linux could handle any size.

The install seemed to finish fine, but every time I boot up I get an
error like so 'VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)'

Google returns 50 different causes and 50 different solutions.

--
TBM