cheap domains host that is reliable

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 4 11:58:41 UTC 2011

On 04/04/2011 07:22 AM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> On 11-04-03 23:51 , Brandon wrote:
>>
>> Definitely not:
>>      godaddy.com
>
> What's more, Bob Parsons appears to be an arsehole.

I think he deliberately seeks controversy. His latest escapade probably
impressed as many people as it annoyed.

>>      1and1.com
>
> Had no problems with them, and been with them since 2003. Never needed
> to use technical support or billing.

Maybe you've never hit the $300/month threshold with 1and1 for PayPal
payments. Long story short, nowhere in their agreement does it say there
is such a threshold. Apparently, there was and when it was hit, the
payment choked. The first I learned of it was when I got a phone call
from some scumbag collection agency in Montreal that threatened
everything but drawing and quartering. 1and1 "support" was completely
useless in resolving the issue. That was entirely for domain
registrations (I own lots of domains) because I had already learned
through the experiences of a friend I had been helping out to never use
them for hosting.

A friend's dedicated server at 1an1 had been hacked. It couldn't have
happened at a worse time for support, just before Christmas. They had
some option to re-image the machine, which would reset it back to a
clean state, but it required "support" to initiate some process that
would take a few minutes. By the time "support" got around to doing it
10 days later because they had one person in a data centre in Germany
with tens of thousands of servers, I had already done a fresh remote
install through trial and error. Useless doesn't even begin to describe
their support. Think Sympatico front-line techs and you'd get the idea.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis