Permissions/Apache Question

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 2 00:09:44 UTC 2011

I am creating a new web site, and I ftp'ed the index.php file to the host.

I got a 500 internal server error.

It turns out that the problem was that the permissions on the file had
the execution bits set for owner, group and all.

When I turned the bits off, all was well.

Can someone explain why the settings would matter? Is this a general
Linux thing, or strictly an Apache thing?

On my local LAMP I had no issues when testing.

Thanks
Stephen