firefox grows, taking over all resources

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 30 15:34:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> Well I have started using the firefox 4 beta version.  So far I am
> actually impressed.  It is much faster and much less resource hungry
> than firefox 3.x has been.  Might be worth a try.

Sounds like a step ahead.  Web browsers seem to be the worst offenders
these days in the battle to chew up all my swap space.

Chrome has the small merit that, as each window is managed by a
separate process, there's *some* hope of tracking offensively bloated
processes and expunging them without necessarily needing to kill off
the whole browser.  Unfortunately, it's only worth searching for the
*worst* bloat, and that only when things start swapping to a
troublesome degree.