Nokia CS-18 Rocket stick from Rogers

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 29 04:03:57 UTC 2010

yes i have it.
it works in my ubuntu. i think my ubuntu on portable is 9.10 (may be 10.4).
nokia provides software for ubuntu i believe on the key. (if i remember correctly).
I think there was a known glitch mounting it, but once mounted , hats off to nokia, it works well, as well
as with windows, and they support linux directly.

they use standard sim card, but the plan is different then blackberry, iphone, etc.
I am actually going to try and tie a phone to it soon, but i fear it will be expensive.
With stricly a data plan, i am on the 35$/mon flex, for 500mb, and 5$ / 500mb additional.,
they said i can use it as a phone, i even have a ph# for it, but never tried, and they
said it would be pricey if i used it as a phone.

I tried putting the sim into my nokia 9300i, but i didn't get a signal. I should try it on my
b-berry. I think it should work on a smart phone in general, but maybe not on iphone, or b-berry.
i use the same simm in my benq linux MID S9, but i only get edge connect with it, but that is
fault of the benq. with air time being so expensive, it actually a blessing to have edge speeds
limiting it. I need to find away to turn 3g off on the rocket stick and force it to edge, just to
know i will not get killed with a bill, then up it to 3g only when i know i need it, and will
then change it back.

I get insane speeds off it , like 7MB/s. If you leave this thing on by accident, and its chugging through
bandwidth, you can end up having to sell your house to pay the bill at end of month.
get a good connection and you'll use your 500mb in 8 minutes, and then each 8 minutes, another 5$ :(
their outside of NA data rates, i.e. in mexico, i think i calculated it would be about 300k$ CND a month
if you used it a decent amount. First carrier that gives unlimited (all be it with fine print), and
I am off to them (hopefully Rogers will do it first anyways). However, since unlimited is drying up
in the US, maybe it will never happen.

but I am very pleased with it, just not pleased with rogers data rates. Iphone and ipad users get
5gb for 25-35$ (my dad has one and has this plan), its a total scam they run giving WAY better
data rates to apple product owners.

tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>